Showing 6165 results

Person/organization

Gambone, Larry

  • Person
  • 1945-

Larry Gambone is a writer and publisher, SFU alumnus (1967-1970), and participant for over six decades in New Left, counter-culture and anarchist movements in Vancouver and later Montréal. He founded the Red Lion Press in 1984, now based in Nanaimo, BC.

Gambone was born in 1945 in Philadelphia to parents Dominick and Adree Gambone. At age two, he came with his mother, grandmother and aunt to Victoria. There his mother met Bill Shenk, who became Gambone's step-father. The family moved to a property at Gold Stream, just outside Victoria, with subsequent moves to Duncan (1954) and Courtenay (1957). Gambone's political activism began in the summer of 1965 when he became involved in the Comox Project. This was a campaign against the storage of nuclear warheads at the Comox military base, culminating in in a 36-hour occupation of the base gates in August.

After a brief stay in Toronto, travels to Mexico and participation in the Vietnam Teach-In in Victoria, Gambone enrolled at Simon Fraser University in September 1967. He joined the Political Science, Sociology and Anthropology (PSA) Department, graduating in 1970. At SFU, Gambone was a founding member of the Students for a Democratic University (SDU), helped organize an SFU branch of the Industrial Workers of the World (IWW), and was involved in various campus campaigns and protests, including the occupation of the Administration Building in November 1968 and the PSA strike in 1969. He became printer for the Student Society in 1968 and helped produced the two issues of SFU IWW's Solidarity Magazine (1969).

Through the 1970s and '80s, Gambone was active in Vancouver's political counter-culture and was involved in a number of groups and projects: Vancouver Yippie! (Youth International Party, 1970-1971), the Yellow Journal (1971), a commune in the Kootenays (1974), the Open Road anarchist newspaper (1975 and 1979-1987), the Anarchist Party of Canada (Groucho-Marxist), Spartacus Books, the Muckfunnel - Fanzine of the Irrational (1982-1987), and the Vancouver IWW. Gambone moved to London UK for several months in 1979. Returning to Vancouver, he took up the study of working class movements and the thinkers that influenced them. Out of this grew his interest in Joseph Dietzgen, the 19th-century German socialist philosopher. In 1984 Gambone founded the Red Lion Press and brought out an edition of Dietzgen's book, The Nature of Human Brain Work (originally published in 1869).

In 1987 Gambone left Vancouver for Montréal, where he remained until 2006, working at warehousing and then as a housekeeper for the Montréal Children's Hospital. He participated in local anarchist circles and began producing numerous pamphlets through his Red Lion Press. During this period, Gambone also contributed articles for the libertarian left and anarchist press, and with Dick Martin produced the magazine Any Time Now from 1992-2007.

Retiring from the hospital in 2006, Gambone returned to BC to Nanaimo. He continued his studies and his political, writing and publishing activities. Through Red Lion Press he published several collections of his own essays - The View From Anarchist Mountain (2010), Another View From Anarchist Mountain (2012), and Anarchic Essays (2014); several anthologies - The Impossibilists: The Socialist Party of Canada and the One Big Union - Selected Articles (2010) and the International Socialist Review Anthology (ca. 2020); and editions of works by other writers, including Kevin Carson, Fred Casey, Sebastian Faure, Hans Feldt, Jack Kavanagh, Ima Louette, and Bill Pritchard. He produced a new edition of Dietzgen's The Nature of Human Brain Work for PM Press (2010) and published two works with Edmonton's Black Cat Press - his memoir, No Regrets: Counter-culture and Anarchism in Vancouver (2014) and a history of the IWW, For Freedom We Will Fight: The Industrial Workers of the World in British Columbia, 1905-1990 (2021).

Board of Governors

  • Corporate body
  • 1965 -

The Board of Governors is the University's primary governing body. As established by the Universities Act of 1963, the Board originally consisted of eleven members: the Chancellor, President, three members elected by the Senate, and six others who were appointed by the Lieutenant-Governor in Council. The Universities Act of 1974 increased the number of board members to fifteen (its current number). The Board now includes eight government appointees (two of whom are nominated by the Alumni Association), two elected faculty members, two elected students, 1 elected staff member, and the Chancellor and the President who serve as ex officio members.

The Board of Governors is responsible for the management, administration and control of property, revenue, business and affairs of the University. With the approval of the University Senate, the Board establishes procedures for the selection of candidates for President, deans, Librarian, Registrar, and other senior academic administrators as the Board may designate. The Board also appoints these officials as well as professors and other members of the teaching staff. The Board has the power to fix salaries and define the duties and tenure of office for its appointees, but members of the teaching staff may not be appointed, promoted or removed except upon the recommendation of the President. The Board receives from the President and analyses or adopts with or without modifications the budgets for operating and capital expenditures; fixes the fees to be paid by students; administers funds, grants, fees, endowments and other assets; and, with the approval of Senate, has the power to determine the number of students that may be accommodated at the University.

Chairs of the Board:

Gordon M. Shrum (1963-1968)
Richard E. Lester (1968-1971)
Kenneth P. Caple (1972)
Paul T. Cote (1972-1976, 1981-1982)
Ray Parkinson (1976-1981)
Fred H. Moonen (1982-1987, 1990-1994)
Donald J. Hudson (1988-1990)
Yvonne Cocke (1994-1996)
Tazeen Nathoo (1996-1997)
David Bond (1997-1998)
Jack Kowarsky (1998-1999)
Evaleen Jaager Roy (1999-2002)
Brandt C. Louie (2002-2005)

Simon Fraser University. Board of Governors. Governance Working Group

  • Corporate body

The Governance Working Group was formed to assess the effectiveness of the governance activities of the Board and make recommendations for improvement. The final report and recommendations issued by this group resulted in the formation of the Board of Governors' Governance Committee in July of 2004.

Granville Island Brewing Company Limited

  • Corporate body
  • 1984-

Canada’s first licensed microbrewery, Granville Island Brewing (GIB) officially opened its doors on June 9, 1984. However, the planning began several years earlier in 1981, when business partners Mitch Taylor and Bill Harvey were seeking out a new venture. Nearly a decade had passed since the pair had established The Creekhouse on Granville Island in 1972 and False Creek Marinas in 1973, paving the way for other businesses and the revitalization of the area.

Although at the time the BC beer market was dominated by the ‘Big Three’ (Molson, Labatt’s and Carling O’Keefe), Taylor and Harvey were inspired by the opening of an English-style ale brewpub, Horseshoe Bay Brewing in 1982, to establish a German-style lager craft brewery. Located at 1441 Cartwright Street, in an old warehouse in a high traffic area near the entrance to Granville Island, the proposed brewery would produce premium, unpasteurized beer to sell through its own retail store for at-home consumption as well as through the government liquor
stores and other licensed premises in the Lower Mainland. At the time, Granville Island received six million visitors per year (both tourists and locals) and had no liquor retailers although it did have six licensed restaurants.

In order to brew this premium lager, the pair decided that they should hire a German braumeister to direct the brewing process according to the Bavarian Purity Law. They travelled to Germany, selecting three brewers to visit Vancouver to compete for the honour. The successful candidate was Rainer Kallahne from Aalen, who had received his braumeister diploma from the University of Berlin and was assistant brewmaster at Koepf Breweries.

In addition to Taylor and Harvey, initial partners in Granville Island Brewing Company Limited were: former McDonald’s marketing vice president Larry Sherwood, in charge of marketing; UBC engineering professor Bob McKecknie, for engineering; lawyer Ian Robertson, for the legal work; and Ted Reichgeld, a building engineer and developer in charge of construction. The first five directors of the company were: Mitch Taylor, Ian Robertson, Robert Paterson, Norman Ross and Robert Hunt.

With personal equity, bank debt and a Limited Partnership, construction of the $3 million brewery building designed by Peter Busby began in the fall of 1983. The brewhouse equipment was sourced from the UK, the stainless-steel tanks from the Fraser Valley and the Krones bottling line and bottle washer from Germany. The brewery used fifteen 60 hectolitre aging tanks, with an initial capacity of 5,000 hectolitres or 125,000 cases per year.

After two years of negotiations with the BC Liquor Control and Licensing Branch, Granville Island Brewing Company Limited received its brewer’s license on January 18, 1984, becoming the first licensed microbrewery in Canada. When GIB opened its doors in 1984, it offered one beer: Island Lager. The first batch was produced in the spring of 1984 (brewing began in April), and it took a total of six weeks before it was shelf ready. Once the beer was produced it had a shelf life of only 60 days due to the lack of preservatives.

In June 1984, the first sales of 5.0% Island Lager were made in the GIB retail store, costing consumers $4.40 for a four pack and $12.50 for a twelve pack. In addition to onsite sales, Island Lager was sold at local pubs, restaurants and cold beer stores throughout the lower mainland. In the first seven months of operation, 40,000 dozen bottles were sold. Brewery merchandise and souvenirs were also sold at the store and free tours of the brewery were offered throughout the day, making it a popular tourist destination. With the addition of Okanagan wine sales in April 1985, the store was allowed to open on Sundays (the only place in Vancouver where one could buy beer on that day of the week) and long lineups were a regular occurrence. By December 1988, GIB beer was carried in 120 provincial government liquor stores, 40 cold beer and wine stores and approximately 600 licensed establishments throughout British Columbia.

Island Lager would be joined in April 1985 by the seasonal Island Bock, which became a permanent product in 1987, the 4% Island Light in May 1988, and Lord Granville Pale Ale circa 1991. Island Marzen was first produced for Granville Island’s 10th anniversary in 1988, and was kept on as a seasonal beer. The beer was sold in unique, tall necked bottles, more similar to imported beers than the stubby bottles preferred by the large brewers of the time. In May 1986, GIB began offering draft Island Lager in a take home Party Keg. The insulated kegs came in 10L, 15L and 20L sizes.

In December 1986, GIB signed a supply agreement with California’s Pasadena Beer Company and began exporting their beer as Pasadena Lager. In 1987, GIB sold 800 hectolitres to Pasadena Beer Company included in total sales of 6178 hectolitres of packaged and 4457 hectolitres of draught . Plans in 1986 and 1987 for an “Island Alt” ale, with reduced aging time, never came to fruition but an “ale” named Lord Granville Pale Ale was showcased at "A Celebration of Beer" on March 20, 1991.

Eventually, Bill Harvey pulled out of the brewery operations. Mitch Taylor continued as President and CEO until 1989 but was unable to make the brewery financially sustainable at its initial scale of production and with the constraints of the lager’s long aging cycle. For several years, he sought additional investors and for a time he took the business public on the Vancouver Stock Exchange. In 1989, Taylor accepted an offer from International Potters Distilling (owner of Calona Wines and Pacific Western Brewery) for a share exchange with GIB. This reduced Taylor’s shares from a majority position in GIB to a much smaller minority position in Potters. He remained involved with GIB for another three years, taking on the position of VP Sales and Marketing for Potters before resigning and selling his shares in 1992.

Under Potters’ ownership, the aging tanks capacity was doubled to 120 hectolitres, and in 1993 GIB became the first microbrewery to use cans. Production was moved to Kelowna, BC in the early 1990s. In August 2005, GIB was purchased by Andrew Peller Wines, and in 2009 it was acquired by Creemore Springs, a subsidiary of Molson Coors Canada, which still owned the brewery as of August 2023.

Taylor, Mitch

  • Person
  • 1944-

Mitchell J. (Mitch) Taylor was born on September 7, 1944 to Thomas and Florence Taylor, in Fort Frances Ontario. He was the fifth of the couple’s nine children. In 1952, at the age of seven, Taylor and his older brother Bob went to live with Alexander and Winnifred Brown on their farm near Regent, Manitoba to attend school and help on the farm.

Taylor lived with the Browns until the fall of 1962, when he began Bachelor of Science studies at the University of Manitoba. During the summers he held various jobs, including sweeping up nickel dust at the International Nickel Company of Canada mine smelter in Thompson, Manitoba and welding assistant on the TransCanada natural gas pipeline in Saskatchewan. After graduating from university in 1965, Taylor travelled through Europe before securing a job with Imperial Oil as an Industrial Sales Representative based in Kamloops, B.C.

On June 10, 1967, Taylor married Anne Franklin, his former classmate at Dand High School and a recent University of British Columbia graduate. The couple later had two daughters, Lydia and Jillian. The Taylors initially lived in Kamloops, with Anne teaching school locally. In 1969, Taylor became BC sales manager for Imperial Oil and was transferred to the Vancouver head office. He was promoted to a financial analyst role for the province in 1970, and in 1971 he became the Assistant to the Petroleum Products Committee of Imperial Oil, based in the Toronto office.

In 1972, Taylor resigned from Imperial Oil to embark on a new business venture in Vancouver with partner Bill Harvey. Purchasing the former Monsanto Chemical buildings on Granville Island for $18,000.00, the partners established Creekhouse Industries. They also received approval to build a 400-berth marina on the north shore of False Creek, west of the Cambie Street Bridge. While successfully lobbying for the revitalization of Granville Island, Taylor and Harvey fully renovated the Monsanto buildings, opening them as The Creekhouse in the winter of 1972. Their second venture, False Creek Marinas, began operations the following year in 1973 and immediately had a waitlist. After more than a decade of success, the land it occupied was expropriated by the BC government for Expo 86 and the marina was demolished.

By 1981, Harvey and Taylor were looking for a new business venture and they settled upon the establishment of a German-style lager craft brewery on Granville Island. The first microbrewery in Canada, Granville Island Brewing (GIB) was officially opened on June 9, 1984, with a German, Rainer Kallahne, as brewmaster. It had an initial capacity of 5000 hectolitres (125,000 cases) of beer per year. Bill Harvey eventually pulled out of the brewery operations. Taylor continued to operate as President and CEO until 1989, when International Potters Distilling (owner of Calona Wines and Pacific Western Brewery) did a share exchange with GIB. This reduced Taylor’s shares from a majority position in GIB to a much smaller minority position in Potters. Taylor remained involved with GIB, taking on the position of VP Sales and Marketing for Potters for three years before resigning and selling his shares in 1992. Additional information about Granville Island Brewing can be found in Series F-329-4 Granville Island Brewing Company Limited records.

In January 1995, Taylor purchased Bellingham Marine Industries, becoming the company’s President and CEO. Under his ownership, the company expanded to twelve plants in eight countries and became a world leader in marina design, engineering and construction by the time Taylor sold it in 2006. From 2006 to 2016, Taylor sat on the Board of Directors for The Knowledge Network, and from 2009 to May 2017, Taylor was co-owner of Knight Signs in Delta, BC. Through all of this time, he has retained an ownership position in Creekhouse Industries. In 2021, Mitch Taylor wrote and published his autobiography titled Making Way: A Memoir, which details his personal and professional experiences to that time.

Zolf, Syd

  • Person
  • 1968-

Syd (formerly Rachel) Zolf’s artistic practice explores materialist questions about memory, history, knowledge, subjectivity and the conceptual limits of language and meaning. Zolf’s work queerly enacts how ethics founders on the shoals of the political, imagining other possibilities of sociality, space, and time.

Their books of poetry include Human Resources (2007, Coach House Books), Neighbour Procedure (2010, Coach House Books), Janey’s Arcadia (2014, Coach House Books), and Social Poesis (2019, Wilfrid Laurier University Press). Their book No One's Witness: A Monstrous Poetics (2021, Duke University Press) was a finalist for the 2022 Pegasus Award for Poetry Criticism. They won a 2018 Pew Fellowship in the Arts, the 2008 Trillium Book Award for Poetry, and have been a finalist for a Lambda Literary Award and the Raymond Souster Memorial Award. Their film version of Janey’s Arcadia has shown at the International Film Festival Rotterdam and other venues. Among their many collaborations, they wrote the film The Light Club of Vizcaya: A Women’s Picture, directed by New York artist Josiah McElheny, which premiered at Art Basel Miami; and they conducted the first collaborative MFA in Creative Writing ever, The Tolerance Project. They have taught at New York’s The New School and the University of Calgary and have completed a PhD in Philosophy, Art and Social Thought at the European Graduate School.

Results 6061 to 6090 of 6165