Showing 5 results

Reid family

The Reid family lived variously in Scotland, Canada, the United States of America, and New Zealand. John Dunlop Reid, Jr. (1865-1917) and Roberta Reid (1879-1969); their children Fergus Reid (1903-1987) and Kenneth Dunlop Reid (1901-?).

John Dunlop Reid, Jr. was born in Dunlop, East Ayrshire, Scotland on February 21, 1865 to John Dunlop Reid, Sr. (dates unknown) and Helen Muir (died Feb. 1895). He arrived in North America around 1884 and worked as a sheep farmer in Rock Springs and Salt Wells in Wyoming, prior to moving to Metchosin, British Columbia. In 1895 he bought land in British Columbia and named the area Glenrosa Farm. Here he continued to work as a sheep breeder and as a fruit grower. He married his cousin, Roberta Reid (nee Reid) on December 15, 1897 in Victoria, British Columbia. She was born on December 10, 1879 in Owensboro, Daviess County Kentucky, USA and died on January 16, 1969 in Victoria, British Columbia. John and Roberta corresponded with his siblings, Thomas Reid and Jessie Reid, and with her parents, Anne Marie Reid (nee Jamieson) (d.1900) and Thomas Reid (d. 1919).

John Dunlop Reid, Jr. and Roberta Reid had three children: Robert Reid (1900-1900), who died at only a few months of age; Fergus Reid (1903-1987) and Kenneth Dunlop Reid (1901 - ?).
Roberta Reid married her second husband, Robert Duggan Young, in 1925. Robert Young passed away in 1947.

Kenneth Dunlop Reid married Margaret Harriet Cullum in 1926. They had one child, Ronald Dunlop Reid (1931-2021).

Family · 1881-1974

Ethel Moxon Grant and Allan Garfield Grant were farmers in Western Canada. Allan Garfield Grant (born 1881) was a farmer and early organizer of the Co-operative movement in Saskatchewan and British Columbia. He kept diaries recording his daily life from 1918 until 1964. Ethel Moxon Grant (born July 6, 1886) was a British working-class woman who married Allan Grant at the end of World War I. From 1919 until 1934 the Grants farmed at Coleville Saskatchewan. In 1934 they moved to ten acres at Whonnock, British Columbia (now part of Maple Ridge)., where they stayed.

Halpern family

The Halpern Family fonds consists of the personal archives of five members of the Halpern family: Simon (1865-1939) and Rosalie (1875-1951) Halpern; their daughter Fanny Halpern (1899-1952), a psychiatrist; their son George Halpern (1902-1989), a businessman and philanthropist; and his wife Ida Halpern (1910-1987), a noted ethnomusicologist.

Simon Halpern was born on June 6, 1865. He was a Surgeon-General in the Austrian Army. He died in 1939. Simon’s wife Rosalie Halpern (nee Salkind) was born on November 19, 1875, in Kremenczuk, Russia. She died in Shanghai, China, on June 26, 1951.

Fanny Gisela Halpern was born August 1, 1899 in Krakow, Poland. After graduating in medicine from the University of Vienna in 1924, she worked in various clinics in that city. Her interest in neurology and psychiatry led her to study with Professor Wagner-Jauregg, who had received the Nobel Prize for developing the malarial treatment of syphilis.

Fanny was invited to China in November 1933 to teach at the Medical College of China in Shanghai. She later taught at Shanghai’s St. John's University and Women's Christian Medical College. In 1935 she organized China's first modern psychiatric hospital, Shanghai Mercy Hospital for Nervous Diseases. She became the hospital's medical director, while at the same time serving as a consultant to several other medical institutions.

Fanny founded the first Committee on Psychiatry in China. She also established a Committee on Mental Hygiene in Shanghai, which became the Mental Hygiene Association of that city. The group consisted mainly of volunteers who worked in mental hygiene and child guidance clinics. She wrote many articles on psychiatry and neurology and presented papers at scientific meetings in Europe and China.

For much of her time in Shanghai, Fanny shared her life and home with her mother, Rosalie, who joined her there after Simon's death in 1939. Shortly after her mother passed away in 1951, Fanny moved to Vancouver to be near her brother, George, and his wife, Ida. Fanny Halpern died on June 26, 1952.

George Robert Halpern was born in Krakow, Poland on May 11, 1902. In 1936 he married Ida (nee Ruhdörfer), who was born on July 17, 1910, in Vienna, Austria, to Heinrich and Sabine Ruhdörfer.

George Halpern had a Ph.D. in chemistry, and as a research chemist, developed a number of pharmaceutical and cosmetic preparations that were manufactured in Vienna and later in Italy (1936-1937) after he established a factory there. Halpern's medicines, with such names as "gelamon" and "jonojod," were advertised for the treatment of various illnesses including asthma, rheumatism, atherosclerosis, and syphilis. Halpern's cosmetic products included skin creams and hair tonics.

Once Ida received her doctorate in music in July 1938, she and George decided to leave Vienna. That October they moved to Shanghai to be with George's sister Fanny. While there, Ida taught music history at the University of Shanghai. George considered opening a pharmaceutical factory in Shanghai as well, but instead in 1939 he and Ida left for Canada.

Arriving in Vancouver in August, the Halperns were initially placed under a deportation order. They succeeded in gaining landed immigrant status through the intervention of R.D. Murray, manager of the Chartered Bank of India, Australia, and China located in Shanghai. Murray offered financial guarantees regarding Halpern's proposed business enterprises.

George hoped to manufacture cosmetics in Vancouver, but was discouraged by George Cunningham, the owner of the city's largest drugstore chain, who told George that his stores only dealt with nationally advertised products. Instead, after inventing chocolate-covered cod-liver oil pills for children, George established his own company, Dr. G. Halpern (Vienna) Laboratories, which manufactured the product for a short time (ca. 1939-1941).

In May 1941 George joined the Canadian Fishing Company as a research chemist. His role was to develop products, such as vitamin oils and poultry feed, that could be manufactured from fish. Halpern also joined a professional association, the Chemical Institute of Canada, and became chairman of its Vancouver section. In 1953, the Canadian Fishing Company’s management curtailed its research activities, and Halpern had to seek other employment. In 1954, he opened his own business, G.R. Chemicals, Ltd., which manufactured "Ply-O-Seal" plastic patching compounds for the plywood industry.

In 1969, George sold the assets of G.R. Chemicals to the H.B. Fuller Company (Canada) Ltd. He then formed a new company, G.R. Chemicals (1969), Ltd., an investment business which owned some property and whose principal income came from interest and rent. This business existed until 1986.

Ida taught music lessons in the Halperns’ home and also lectured in music appreciation and later in ethnomusicology at UBC. In 1947 she began recording the music of First Nations peoples of the Pacific Northwest, being one of the first to study the subject. In 1948 she helped found, and was first president of, the Friends of Chamber Music in Vancouver. Ida wrote numerous articles and a few books on First Nations music, and also published some sound recordings.

Both George and Ida Halpern were noted benefactors to two of British Columbia's universities, the University of Victoria, and Simon Fraser University (SFU). They were convocation founders of SFU in 1965, and their financial support enabled the construction of the George and Ida Halpern Centre at that institution. George was present at the Halpern Centre's official opening on May 24, 1989. As well, the Halperns donated several important paintings to SFU.

Ida was awarded an honourary doctorate from SFU in 1978, and was made a Member of the Order of Canada in the same year. She continued to lecture, and to consult on First Nations music for films and other productions. In 1986, the University of Victoria also awarded her an honourary doctorate. Ida died in Vancouver on February 7, 1987.

During his later years, George played a broad role in community activities. He served as President of Brock House, a community centre for senior citizens, which he helped to establish, in 1974, in a local heritage building. He and Ida both served on its board of directors for a number of years. He was also elected a member of the Dunbar-West Point Grey-Southlands Community Resources Board in 1973. The Board promoted the general well being of seniors in the area through such projects as the seniors' housing complex at Fourth Avenue and Wallace Street. George Halpern died in Vancouver on November 28, 1989.

Jerome, Harry and Valerie
Family · Jerome, Harry 1940-1982, Jerome Valerie 1944-

Harry Winston Jerome was born in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan on September 30, 1940, and Valerie Jerome, his sister, was born in 1944. Their parents, Harry Vincent Jerome and Elsie Howard, met after the death of John Armstrong “Army” Howard who was Elsie’s father and Harry’s co-worker at the railway. In 1951, the Jerome family moved to North Vancouver, where both Harry and Valerie began their track careers. Valerie ran on the track team at Sutherland Junior High, and, a year later, Harry took up running at North Vancouver High School in 1958. After succeeding in his first track season, Harry was noticed by John Minichiello, a coach for the Vancouver Optimist Striders. Both Harry and Valerie ended up running for the Striders.

While Harry excelled at many sports, his trademarks were his speed and running abilities. He was one of the best sprinters in his day, both within Canada and internationally. At age 18, Harry broke the 31-year-old Canadian record for the 220-yard sprint – held by 1928 double Olympic gold medallist Percy Williams. In 1960, his athletic career became international when he equalled the world record for 100 metres by clocking in at 10.0 seconds at the Canadian Olympic Trials in Saskatoon. Harry and Valerie Jerome both qualified and ran in the 1960 Summer Olympics in Rome. During the semi-finals at the Rome Olympics, Harry collapsed with a torn hamstring. In spite of this injury, he made his return during the indoor season in 1961. During the 1962 Pan-American Games in Perth, Australia, Harry suffered a major leg injury. He underwent surgery for the torn muscle in his left thigh in December 1962 and was unable to compete in the 1963 track season. He was told by orthopedic surgeons that he would never run again; he spent ten weeks in the hospital and months in a cast. During this time, the Harry Jerome Scholarship was created by R.C. Gibbs. In spite of the severity of his injury, Harry made his return to the sport in 1964. At the 1964 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, he earned a bronze medal in the 100-metre final. In 1966, at the British Commonwealth Games in Jamaica, he won the 100 metre finals, earning a gold medal. In addition, he also set a world record of 9.1 seconds over 100 yards that year and won a gold medal in the Pan-American Games in 1967. Harry competed in his third Olympics in 1968, representing Canada in Mexico City; however, he finished seventh in the Olympic final. At the end of the 1968 season, he retired, ending a career that included stints as the world’s fastest man in tying the 100 yards world record of 9.3 seconds in 1960. Two years later he lowered it to 9.2 in a memorable day at Vancouver’s Empire Stadium. In 1966, he improved again upon that mark by running 9.1. During his career, he also held the world indoor mark for 60 yards and ran the anchor leg for his University of Oregon relay team that set a world mark in the 4×110-yard relay. After his retirement, he was named “British Columbia’s Athlete of the Century”.

Harry Jerome married Wendy Carole Foster, of Edmonton, in July 1962. He met Wendy at the University of Oregon, and they were married at the Norwood United Church in Edmonton. Wendy graduated from the University of Alberta and took a year of post-graduate work at the University of Oregon, where she met Harry. Harry and Wendy had a daughter, Deborah Jerome. Harry completed a B.Sc. and an M.Sc. at the University of Oregon.

In addition to his athletic career, Harry spent time teaching. In 1964 and 1965, he taught math and science at Richmond Secondary School. In the late 1960s, Harry set up his own track club called the Charlie Brown Track Club. In the 1970s, he taught at Templeton as a Physical Education teacher. Harry was also involved in athletic programming for youth. He worked as a recreation consultant for Sports Canada, a program that worked in conjunction with the Federal Ministry of Sport; during this time, Harry became involved in the Cross-Canada Sports Demonstration, a school program, which travelled from coast to coast with the theme “You Can Do It”. In 1971, Harry created the Premier’s Sports Award Program, a program that ran in BC high schools until the early 1980s. In1971, Harry also received the Order of Canada. Harry Jerome died suddenly from a brain aneurysm on December 7, 1982, at age 42.

In addition to her own track career, Valerie Jerome taught for 35 years. After Harry’s death, she began the Harry Jerome Commemorative Society in 1983. The committee fundraised and created a memorial for Harry, a bronze statue, sculpted by Jack Harman, which is situated in Vancouver’s Stanley Park. Harry’s legacy still remains with the annual Harry Jerome International Track Classic and the Black Business and Professional Association’s Harry Jerome Awards.