Occupy Vancouver

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Occupy Vancouver

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

15 Oct. 2011-22 Nov. 2011


Occupy Vancouver was a collective of peaceful protests and demonstrations. It was part of Occupy Canada that was also part of the larger Occupy Together movement which first manifested in the financial district of New York City with Occupy Wall Street in March 2011. Occupy Wall Street had initially been organized to answer the call-to-action by the Vancouver-based, advertising-free, anti-consumerist organization Adbusters. Subsequently, the movement spread to over 900 cities around the world.

On October 15, 2011, in Vancouver, around 4000 to 5000 people participated in rallies and the local general assembly. In the days following its inception at the Vancouver Art Gallery there was the arrival of over 150 tents, food, health and safety services, operating on a volunteer basis nearly around the clock. On October 16, 2011, the activists began formalizing their work and agreeing on broad principles at large gatherings called General Assemblies. The group adopted the general format of Wall Street and they declared themselves leaderless and not hierarchical.

On November 7, 2011, city notices asking protesters to pack up their tents were immediately posted at the site. On November 15, 2011, police, firefighters and city workers moved in and started removing several tents and tarps that were described as fire hazards. The City of Vancouver applied for an injunction order to remove the entire camp, but the judge adjourned the hearing to allow protesters to prepare their legal response. On November 18, 2011, Justice Anne MacKenzie granted the city's request to order the removal of Occupy Vancouver's structures by Monday afternoon. Protesters were given until 2 p.m. on November 21, 2011, to remove their tents and other structures.

On November 21, 2011, protesters abandoned the encampment at the Art Gallery zone and relocated their tents to Robson Square, just outside provincial court facilities. Justice Anne MacKenzie granted the Attorney General of British Columbia an order to remove Occupy Vancouver's new tent city by 5 p.m. November 22, 2011. Just before 5 p.m. the tents were packed up and occupiers moved onto the SkyTrain, and over to the Commercial Drive neighborhood where they moved into Grandview Park.

As of late January 2012, Occupy Vancouver was still holding weekly meetings at the W2 media cafe.



Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places